Which sax is smaller: tenor or soprillo?

28th October 2009
Jon-A says:
Hi Nigel - I notice cosmetic changes to soprillos newer than mine (serial #92) and am wondering if they've done any technical tweaking. Also, please comment on any modifications you have made. Building up that B flat key, for example - very useful. Thanks.
Bis key and an additional key linkage (opening the low D# key at rest, to improve 2nd octave E to F#) are standard now. All the rest is more a design change than a technical one. I recommend you ask Benedikt directly for development enquiries.
24th October 2009
Gerard Posch says:
What a miracle! I thought the sopranino saxophone was the smallest sax ever, but times they are achanging! This is magnificent, but I think the soprillo is very difficult to play. I have heard the sound examples. They sound very good. What kind of reeds do you use? Is there a retailer in the Netherlands where one can buy a soprillo?
Thanks for your comments. I use a Vandoren sopranino 4 reed. I don't know of a retailer in the Netherlands where you can buy a Soprillo, but it's best to contact Benedikt Eppelsheim (www.eppelsheim.com) directly and he will advise you.
15th September 2009
The Tot says:
Ive been playing alto for four years and bari for about a week. is playing soprillo just as mutch of a diffrence from alto to soprillo as alto to bari
I suggest you try a soprano sax first and see how you get on with that. Maybe after a few years then consider a soprillo. The soprillo is the most difficult sax to play and I wouldn't recommend it for beginners.
8th September 2009
blackhat4blues says:
Well I wondered what the smallest saxophone was ...and now i know ...the Soprillo!! It's wonderful and sounds just lovely ~ thank you Nigel for this site
12th August 2009
Bryce says:
who exactly all makes the soprillo sax? I can onlt find two manufactures, International Woodwind and Eppelsheim?
There is only one 'manufacturer' -Eppelsheim
12th June 2009
shauna roberts says:
How much is a soprillo saxophone and do they have tuning issues similar to the soprano? i have been playnig for almost 4 years and want to look into buying a soprillo. I currently play tenor and soprano saxophone
The tuning issues are considerably more challenging than the soprano. The online store www.sax.co.uk is currently offering them for £2,238. If you are interested in buying a second-hand soprillo for £1900.00 contact: snake@dircon.co.uk
24th May 2009
Joel T says:
Nigel, Benedikt, I confess -- I've purchased a barely-used soprillo off eBay -- serial # 182. I'd rather have more directly encouraged Eppelsheim with an order -- but, on the other hand, why should this perfectly good Soprillo sit idle in someone's closet?

Maybe someday I'll buy direct. Meanwhile, thanks Mr. Eppelsheim for such a stellar work of craftsmanship, and thanks Nigel for demonstrating its potential.
24th May 2009
DeeDee Stearns says:
Is there a book out about Nigel Wood and the soprillo?
22nd April 2009
Joel T says:
I am corresponding with Eppelsheim regarding construction of a Soprillo. He seems very accommodating with regard to such matters as the horn finish and engraving. I have seen comments from people wishing the bell was straight (square with the center line of the horn, rather than tilted toward the keys). It seems even that is possible, though it might require a bit more time to alter the tooling. I know it's a stretch, but is there anyone else out there who would be more inclined to purchase sooner if Eppelsheim offered a "straight" bell?
Why change it - just because you would prefer the appearance of a straight bell?
22nd April 2009
Joel T says:
Your playing is almost enough to convince me to buy a soprillo. One question: You say you use paper to protect your lower lip, yet you use a #4 reed. I'm sure you've tried softer reeds; what was the result? Why such a stiff reed?
I'd recommend starting with a softer reed. I found the higher notes more stable with a harder reed and a softer reed produces a more feeble tone.